Zoning and Building Permits

Zoning and Building Permits

The City of Twin City has a Zoning Ordinance. City residents are encouraged to contact City Hall for any new additions to their residences or commercial buildings to ensure that all setbacks are met. In addition, city staff will check to make sure the proposed addition is within the allowed building coverage. New additions and some renovations require building permits. Resident and/or contractors are expected to secure the necessary building permit for those additions or revisions before construction begins.

Please click here for the Zoning Map for Twin City, GA.  

Code Enforcement

City residents are encouraged to contact the City of Twin City about code enforcement issues. A goal of the Mayor and City Commission is to make Twin City an attractive and safe place to live, work, and play. In addition, City leaders are striving to capture the attention of the 95,000 people who visit the George L. Smith State Park annually.

The City desires to work with property owners and residents in cleaning up their damaged or dilapidated properties, as well as cleaning areas where there has been an accumulation of junk, which is a health as well as a beautification issue. If you believe that a resident is a “fostering” a nuisance, please contact City Hall. We will maintain confidentiality for the complainant, while addressing the matter in a prompt and professional manner.

Twin City Planning Commission

The Twin City Planning Commission consists of five (5) members who are appointed by the Twin City Commission. The members of the commission have staggered three (3) year terms. To serve on the Planning Commission, you must be a citizen of the City of Twin City. The Planning Commission interprets the Zoning Ordinance of the City and makes recommendations to the City Commission any proposed changes to the ordinance and also makes recommendations to the City Commission on any requests for variances. The Planning Commission does not have the power to amend the Zoning Ordinance or rezone any land.

If you are a citizen of Twin City and are interested in serving on the Planning Commission, please contact your Ward Representative or the City Clerk.